MSU is Going Tobacco-Free!
The ordinance and policy will go into effect August 15, 2016
Michigan State University’s Board of Trustees approved a tobacco-free ordinance in 2015, a move that will go into effect August 15, 2016, as part of an ongoing effort to ensure the MSU community enjoys a healthy campus.
The new ordinance applies to all property governed by the Board of Trustees and includes not only main campus but also all MSU sites across the state, nation and globe.
In addition to traditional tobacco products such as cigarettes and chewing tobacco, the ordinance also prohibits e-cigarettes and vaporizers. All FDA-approved nicotine replacement therapy products are permitted for cessation use.
The MSU Health4U program offers free tobacco and nicotine cessation resources for faculty, staff, graduate student employees, retirees and the adult benefits eligible dependents of the members of these groups.
Cessation resources are available for students, employees and others at http://tobaccofree.msu.edu/cessation.
Members of the MSU community are welcome to email TobaccoFree@msu.edu with concerns or questions.
To provide campus and community leadership in the development, adoption, implementation, enforcement and evaluation of a tobacco-free policy for Michigan State University.
- April 2013 - Office of the Provost 'Fostering a Healthier Campus Action Team' recommends implementation of a Smoke Free Campus
- July 2013 - MSU Summit on Tobacco Policy Team debriefs Provost Youatt, recommends MSU consider creating a Tobacco Free Campus policy
- August 29, 2013 - Provost Youatt directs Office of the University Physician to lead efforts to plan and implement a Tobacco Free policy and ordinance
- November/December 2014 - MSU campus community members invited to participate on the Tobacco Free Task Force.
- January-April 2015 - MSU Task Force Meetings begins meeting
- T-F MSU task force meets with several MSU groups, holds Campus Conversations for input
- T-F MSU Task Force subcommittee chairpersons consult with Rear Admiral Boris Lushniak, MD, MPH, US Surgeon General's Office and Clifford Douglas, JD, Director Tobacco Free College Campus Initiative & Director Tobacco Free Research Network
- June 17 2015 - Ordinance 29.00 Smoking, Use and Sale of Tobacco Products amended by the MSU Board of Trustees. Amendment effective date identified as August 15, 2016.
- January-August 2016 - T-F MSU Task Force subcommittees focus on implementation activities necessary prior to August 15, including working with multiple groups across campus for toolkit creation, website updates, signage planning, planning for campus-wide communications
The full timeline of the Tobacco-Free MSU process can be found here.
About the Task Force
The Tobacco-Free MSU Task Force is comprised of a diverse group of faculty, staff, and students, as well as representatives from the city of East Lansing. The task force subcommittees have researched and explored best practices on other university campuses in the areas of:
- Assessment and Evaluation
- Communications and Marketing
- Community Partners
- Compliance, Education, and Enforcement
- Events and Public Facilities
- Health, Wellness, and Sustainability
The findings have been integrated to develop a policy that best meets the needs of Michigan State University and our neighbors in East Lansing. A final ordinance was submitted to the MSU Board of Trustees, and amended on June 17, 2015. The amendment effective date is August 15, 2016 . A full listing of the original task force members can be found here.